General Liability – Mandatory in most states, general liability provides protection in the event you are sued for bodily injury or property damage. Many property owners require that you name them as an additional insured under your general liability policy, this protects them in the event you damage the property in some way.

Product Liability – Will protect your business and personal assets when you are sued because folks claim your product made them sick. It does not matter if it did or not, either way you will have to pay for the cost to defend yourself. You can literally lose everything if you cannot afford to defend yourself in court.

Employment Practices Liability – Lets say you had to let an employee go because they were always late, or basically they did not do a good job. If the employee comes back and sues you for wrongful termination, discrimination, or sexual harassment, EPLI would be there to cover the cost of defense and damages up to the limits of the policy. If you are sued by an employee or former employee Employment Practice Liability is the only coverage that provides protections.

Tenants Improvements & Betterments – So that new electrical system you just installed to support the grow lights, or that HVAC system you just finished paying for, would not be covered in a loss without Tenant Improvements & Betterments.

Business Personal Property – So if you picked up your business and shook it upside down, everything that falls out would be Business Personal Property, and will only be covered if you have BPP coverage.

Business Income – Did that wildfire just come through and wipe out your grow? Don’t’ worry, Business Income can provide supplemental payments to replace the income the business would have generated if it had not experienced the loss. Business Income allows you to continue to pay your monthly expenses until you are back up and running or reach the policy limits.

Harvested Material – You just harvested the fall crop; the material is waiting to be transported to the manufacture when thieves disable the security system and take off with half of the harvest. No worries, you have included harvested material in your coverage, so any product that is not still in the ground would be covered.

Commercial Auto - If a vehicle is not used on a regular basis withing the business, you may not need a “commercial auto policy” There are a few personal lines auto companies that cover incidental business use. If a vehicle is needed on a daily basis to conduct business a commercial auto policy is recommended. Personal lines policies normally exclude all Cannabis exposure, check with your personal lines carrier to confirm if your coverage will extend to your cannabis business or not.

Workers Compensation – Is mandatory, if you are fined for not having workers compensation it can cost up to 10,000 per employee in some states. Workers comp provides coverage for employees in the event they are injured on the job. Some states such as Washington, are monolithic states, meaning coverage can only be offered by the state of Washington. When a state is monolithic, Stop Gap coverage is recommended. A monolithic state only provides coverage for the employees medical expenses and supplemental income, if an employee sues the employer because the injury was caused by an unsafe work environment there is no coverage in place to protect the employer and the cost of defense in addition to any associated damages would be out of pocket. With Stop Gap coverage, the employer is now protected up to the limits of the policy.

Time To Start Saving